The Basics of Raw Puppy Food
The best food for puppies is the type of food that will give them the vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants they need to grow healthy and strong.
It should mimic an all natural puppy diet, the kind a wolf cub would receive.
This means that it is ideal that you feed them raw puppy food that has been derived from organic food sources.
Though the basics of this diet dictates that your puppy eat mostly raw meaty bones, vegetables and fruit should be included as well (in smaller portions).
Dog owners are reminded to have variety when serving raw puppy food, meaning change the type of meaty bones, the kind of vegetables and fruit, and other ingredients every so often.
This will help your puppy achieve well rounded and complete nutrition.
What About Treats and Rewards?
The basics of raw puppy food tell you what you should be giving your puppies during meals.
However, what do you feed them when it’s time for a treat?
For example, when starting to train them to do tricks?
In line with giving your pups variety in their raw puppy food as well as following the raw feeding diet, here are two recipes for treats that your puppies will surely love!
READ : Raw Puppy Food: Frozen Treats they will LOVE!
Remember that when making these treats, stick to healthy unprocessed ingredients or organic raw dog food ingredients.
Raw Puppy Food Treat #1
3 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- Slice the pumpkin and scoop out the flesh.
- Put the pumpkin flesh into a blender or food processor. Blend well until you create a smooth puree.
- Begin mixing your pumpkin and cheese. For every 2 cups of pumpkin puree, mix in one cup of cheese. You can mix this in a blender or food processor as well to make sure you have an even mixture. With one medium sized pumpkin, you should be able to make 3 batches.
- Pour each mixture into individual baking tins or in muffin tins. Put these tins in the freezer or chiller and leave it there to harden. It should harden within the day or over night. You want it hard enough so you can cut it and hold it, almost frozen.
Once hardened, you can give this raw puppy food treat to your puppy as a cool treat on a hot day or for every new trick learned.
Raw Puppy Food Treat #2
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 large apple
1 cup plan unsweetened yogurt
- Cut the apple into fourths and remove the seeds. Dice the apple pieces.
- Place the apple in a blender and blend until pureed. Add the honey and peanut butter and blend again.
- Once an the ingredients seem well mixed, add the cup of yogurt and blend until an even consistency is reached. (About a two minutes on high)
- Pour the mixture onto ice cube trays or mini-muffin tins. Put the tins and trays into the freezer and allow to freeze overnight.
This is another great raw puppy food treat!
Your puppy will sure love gnawing at this, and it’s good for him too!
Furthermore, making your own treats is much cheaper than buying commercial treats.
When giving your dog treats, remember to keep them away from chocolate and onions, which are both very harmful towards dogs.
Stick to homemade treats which are based on recipes that use natural organic ingredients.
Our dogs will benefit from this type of treat, and we can be certain that we are giving them something healthy!