3 Raw Dog Food Recipes Your Dog Will Enjoy
If you’re one of those pet owners who are seriously considering a raw dog food diet for your pet, let me tell you that you are doing your pet a favor and that you are making the right decision. And since you are reading this, I’d assume that you are also probably looking for recipes that you can make for your dog, correct?
Before we discuss recipes, please consider doing a gradual weaning for your dog. If he is into kibble or other commercially-bought dog food, it will be good for his digestive system if you mix a small portion of the new raw ingredient with his usual diet. This is so his body can adjust to the healthy changes he will be having in the next weeks or so.
My aunt has a couple of dogs, strays she just recently legalized so she could call them her own. She was a firm believer in raw food. Here are three tried-and-tested basic dog food recipes she loves to give her dearies, as she called them:
- ½ a cup of raw meat (preferably ground poultry, beef, lamb or organs)
- ½ cup or raw pureed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon of bone meal powder (this should be 2 teaspoons if you have puppies or pregnant bitches)
- ¼ cup cooked whole grains (optional, since too much of this can lead to poor digestion, bowel trouble, bad breath, some itching and striking)
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ascorbic acid powder with bioflavonoids (for your pet’s vitamin C protection)
- ¼ teaspoon kelp powder
- 1 teaspoon of oil mixture (The oil mixture consists of 11 ounces canola oil, 2 ounces wheat germ oil and 2 ounces flax oil.) If you are using poultry such as quail or chicken, then use 2 teaspoons of the oil mixture.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a big bowl or container.
- Keep refrigerated to prevent buildup of bacteria.
Recipe #2: Salmon Roll
This is a salmon roll catered to fit a dog's taste. This is a store-and-serve recipe.
- 2 cups of canned salmon
- 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of beef broth
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- Drain and flake the canned salmon.
- Add the cream cheese and beef broth.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Shape the mixture into a 2 x 8 inch log.
- Roll in the chopped pecans and fresh chopped parsley.
- Divide or cut into 8 pieces.
This is another simple raw dog food recipe that can be mixed and served immediately. This particular mix will be good as a single serving for a large dog, 2 or more meals for a medium dog, and 4 or more meals for a very small canine.
- ¾ pounds of raw meat (can be raw beef chunks, raw chicken, lamb or mackerel – uncooked and unprocessed bones can also be included. Also use liver or kidneys twice a week.)
- 1 raw egg
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- ½ clove of chopped garlic (not the powdered one, mind you)
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon of alfalfa powder
- 1 teaspoon of kelp seaweed powder
- 1 cup of raw oats (optional)
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Store or serve immediately.
The key here is going raw. Once your pet gets initiated into raw food diet, the result will be seen almost immediately. But as with any change, it will be best if you consult your dog’s veterinarian so you can discuss proper options, especially if he is immunocompromised or has a pre-existing medical condition.